Monday, 19 May 2014

April and May Empties: John Frieda Shampoo, Nars Light Reflecting Loose Powder, Nars Stick Concealer


John Frieda Root Awakening Shampoo: This had a nice eucalyptus-mint scent. Not as hydrating as it claims, but a good cleansing shampoo.

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shampoo: This smelled like almonds and didn't really work as a shampoo (too hydrating to remove grease). I liked it on days I didn't want to totally strip my hair with a strong shampoo, but wanted something a bit more cleansing than washing with conditioner.

Nars Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder: This lasted for over a year (Feb 2013 to May 2014) even with daily use, and twice-daily use in the summer. So even though it's relatively pricey ($39 CAD when I bought it, and I think the price has gone up since then), it gives you excellent value for money. For the most part, I was really happy with this powder: the first one I ever tried that didn't catch on dry skin or look dull. It's totally invisible on the skin, even in flash photography, and it lasts ages if you use enough -- it held up through a few 16 hour days. My only minor complaint is that you really have to pile it on to get that kind of wear; on days I used a normal amount, I was fairly shiny after a few hours. I can't say I mind this though, as it is possible to wear more for total matteness. And as it wears, it does turn from matte to a radiant, glowy look; so I can't say it bothered me too much.

I would probably repurchase this, as it worked well and was good value for money, but I want to try a couple of other powders first.

Nars Concealer (Stick Concealer) in Chantilly: This was the first product I ever bought that actually matched my skin colour, so I did like it for a while. However, it's extremely dense and hard to blend out: you have to use your fingers to warm it up, and even then I could never get the edges to blend out fully. It's not horrible and it does cover things well, but I can't recommend it because it doesn't blend in. 

I would not repurchase this. I've replaced it with the liquid Nars concealer in Chantilly, which is still high coverage but is much easier to apply and blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment